Alleged Corruption: Ozekhome Calls for Fair Hearing for El-Rufai Before Final Judgement

  • A famous Nigerian human rights lawyer has faulted the conduct of the Kaduna state House of Assembly in the probing of former governor Nasir El-Rufai
  • The legal practitioner asserted that it is wrong to investigate an individual without inviting him to hear his own side of the story
  • He calls on the committee in charge of the indictment to make things right by summoning him to respond to the accusations

A prominent activist and lawyer, Mike Ozekhome, has asked the Kaduna state House of Assembly to give the embattled former governor Nasir El-Rufai a fair hearing in the ongoing investigation into his administration.

The lawmakers are investigating El-Rufai’s eight-year tenure to look for potential mishandling of government properties, especially misappropriation of funds.

Nasir El-Rufai and Mike OzekhomeOzekhome asserts that the investigation would be unfair if Rufai is not invited
Photo: Fb/Nasir El-Rufai/Mike OzekhomeSource: Facebook

Ozekhome commented that while the committee constituted to grill the matter is doing its job, it would be incomplete and borderline partiality if the main subject of the investigation was not invited to defend himself.

The legal luminary made the remarks on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily program.

He warned that if the committee proceeds to indict him and presents the case to the governor of the state for final ratification, El-Rufai reserves the fundamental right to challenge the whole process in court.

Ozekhome queried:

“Was he El-Rufai invited? Was he given an opportunity to defend himself? If he was and he chose to stay back, that’s another ball game. So, because I do not have all those duties, it becomes peremptory for me to [comment on it].

He particularly emphasised that the case is too fragile and sensitive to be heard without the former minister of the FCT’s presence.

He said:

“You don’t indict a person by proxy. No, you don’t, particularly in a matter that has criminal connotations. You can’t do that by proxy. So, it has to be the person.”

El-Rufai reacts to Sanusi’s reinstatement as Emir of Kano

TheTalk.NG reported earlier that Nasir El-Rufai, has reacted to the reinstatement of Muhammadu Sanusi II, as Emir of Kano.

TheTalk.NG recalls that Sanusi II was reinstated as Emir of Kano on Friday after members of the state house of assembly abolished the creation of an additional four emirates and deposed all the emirs.

El-Rufai posted a cryptic message on Facebook on Friday, May 24 referring to the reinstatement of his blossom friend. The former governor said they plan and Allah plans also God is the best planner.

Source: TheTalk.NG


#1: Edo Elders Send Message To Nigerians: “Stop Unwarranted Attacks on Oba of Benin”

APPLY HERE

#2: Many Feared Dead as Gunmen Invade Anambra Communities

APPLY HERE

#3: JUST IN: Kano Police Speak as Kwankwaso Alleges Plan of State of Emergency Over Emirate Crisis

APPLY HERE

#4: Shippers Council Regulatory Bill: CSOs Send Message to Tinubu

APPLY HERE

#5: Sallah Tragedy As 2 Men Stab Sex Worker to Death in Abuja Hotel

APPLY HERE

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Adblock Detected, Please disable your adblock to continue browsing this website