Eid-el-Fitr 2025: Kano Residents Speak Amid Police’s Surprise Ban on Sallah Durbar

  • The Kano state police command, in a surprising move, announced a total ban on all Durbar activities during the Eid-el-Fitr celebrations, citing intelligence reports of potential security threats
  • The Durbar, a colorful horse-riding festival, has long been a key part of Kano’s Sallah celebrations, but since the emirate crisis of 2024, the event has become politically charged
  • Though residents were advised to observe Eid prayers at designated prayer grounds and avoid actions such as horse riding (Kilisa), car-racing, among others, the ban has sparked varied reactions among Kano residents

TheTalk.NG journalist Ridwan Adeola Yusuf has over 9 years of experience covering politics, elections, and governance.

Kano, Kano state – The Kano police command banned all Sallah Durbar celebrations across the state ahead of the 2025 Eid-el-Fitr festivities.

TheTalk.NG reports that many Nigerians celebrated Eid-el-Fitr on Sunday, March 30, 2025. Some citizens would celebrate theirs on Monday, March 31.

Police ban Kano durbar over ‘security concerns’Kano police commissioner asked parents and guardians to caution their children.
Photo credit: Nigeria Police ForceSource: Facebook

The commissioner of police (CP), Ibrahim Adamu Bakori, disclosed the ban recently during a press briefing at the Bompai police headquarters. He stated that the decision was made after consultations with the state government and security stakeholders to prevent possible violence.

Bakori said:

“Credible intelligence indicates plans by miscreants and their sponsors to disrupt public peace under the guise of Durbar activities. To avoid chaos, the government and security agencies have agreed to suspend all such events.”

The ban came days after the dethroned Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero, called off plans to hold a parallel Durbar event.

TheTalk.NG had earlier reported that Bayero, who was removed from office in 2024, had initially mobilised supporters for a rival procession, raising fears of a clash with loyalists of the reinstated Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II. However, following pressure from security agencies and traditional leaders, Bayero announced the suspension of his Durbar plans, citing the need for peace.

Though residents have been advised to observe Eid prayers at designated prayer grounds and avoid reckless behaviors such as horse riding (Kilisa), car-racing, among others, the ban has sparked varied reactions among Kano residents.

Police ban Eid el Fitr Durbar in Kano stateThe Kano state police command announced a ban on all Durbar activities for the 2025 Eid-El-Fitr celebrations.
Photo credit: Nigeria Police ForceSource: Facebook

Mallam Auwalu Haruna, a trader in Kano Line Motor Park, supported the decision, saying:

“Security comes first. If the government or Police says no Durbar to prevent trouble, we should obey.”

Another resident, Alto Musa, a tricycle operator from Gwale, expressed disappointment.

He told TheTalk.NG:

“Durbar is part of our tradition. Banning it takes away the joy of Sallah. It is the only thing now left for us to enjoy during the sallah period especially with the cost of living.”

However, Yusuf Adamu, a commercial motorist, questioned the timing noting this could be a federal order.

“Why now? The government should deal with troublemakers instead of canceling our culture. When I watched the broadcast of Aminu Ado Bayero where he said he cancelled his plan for a parallel durbar, I knew something was coming. I sensed the federal government has a different plan, and here it is.”

Kano: Legal perspective to ban on Sallah Durbar

On her part, a legal practitioner in Kano, Aisha Garba Yakasai, said the development signifies a breakdown of justice and democracy.

Her words:

“The deprivation of individuals of their traditional rights due to political motives or manipulation signifies a breakdown of justice and democracy. This is a breach of the fundamental rights as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“Section 40 guarantees a right to peaceful assembly. Additionally, section 38 recognises the right to freely practice one’s religion or culture.”

Furthermore, she explained that banning Durbar activities is an action that seeks to limit a deeply-rooted tradition of the ancient city of Kano state.

Read more Eid-el-Fitr 2025-related news:

Kano moves to reclaim encroached motor parks

Earlier, TheTalk.NG reported that the Kano ministry of land and physical planning announced plans to recover all motor parks owned by Kano Line that have been encroached upon by individuals, and corporate organisations across the state.

The move is part of efforts to revive the state-owned transport company and restore its operations.

Alhaji Abduljabbar Mohammad Umar, the commissioner for land and physical planning, made the announcement during a courtesy visit by the acting managing director of Kano Line, Alhaji Sa’idu Abdullahi Shuaibu, and members of the Kano Line revival committee.

Source: TheTalk.NG


Tragedy As Pregnant Woman Allegedly Dies After Hospital Rejects Treatment over N500,000 Deposit
A pregnant woman, identified as Kemi, tragically lost her life after a private hospital allegedly refused her treatment due to her husband’s inability to deposit N500,000 for treatment Her husband, Akinbobola Folajimi, shared a heartbreaking video on social media capturing her final moments and detailing their ordeal As usual, Nigerians on social media reacted differently ... Read more Continue reading here ▶


Food Security: 5 FG’s Policies “Yielding Positive Results” as Tinubu, Kyari Get Commendation
The Good Governance Advocates of Nigeria (GGAN) has spoken on FG’s agricultural policies, hailing President Tinubu and agriculture minister Abubakar Kyari The group highlighted global collaborations and domestic initiatives, including fertilizer distribution and food aid, as crucial steps toward agricultural growth and food security GGAN also noted a significant drop in food prices—up to 70% ... Read more Continue reading here ▶


Fintiri Announces Free Dialysis in Adamawa, Purchases CT Scans for 2 Hospitals
Governor Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri has purchased two CT scan machines, with one installed at the Specialist Hospital and the other set for the Numan General Hospital The Governor confirmed on his X handle that free dialysis treatment is ongoing, while a modern laboratory and OPD complex are set for completion Fintiri reiterated his commitment to ... Read more Continue reading here ▶


Newly Appointed NNPC CEO Mentions Two Things Many People Don’t Know About Him
The newly appointed NNPCL CEO, Engineer Bashir Bayo Ojulari, revealed his love for music and dancing, surprising many with these personal details shared in a 2017 interview His appointment follows President Tinubu’s decision to sack the previous NNPCL leadership, citing the need for enhanced operational efficiency and investor confidence Tinubu reconstituted the board under the ... Read more Continue reading here ▶


Rivers Crisis: Wike Sent Prophetic Warning on Misfortune Amid Fubara’s Suspension
Nyesom Wike, the minister of the FCT, has been warned of future health challenges and urged to prioritise his health above politics Prophet I.O. Samuel, the founder and general overseer of Shiloh Word Chapel, issued the warning to the minister while delivering a prophetic message According to the cleric, the rift between the minister and ... Read more Continue reading here ▶


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Adblock Detected, Please disable your adblock to continue browsing this website